Tuesday 8 May 2012

Maui: What We Ate

Ohh did we eat like kings. So much fresh fruit and fish! We had a full kitchen in our room so breakfast usually consisted of fruit and toast. The Hawaiians have this sweet bread that's sort of like Japanese milk bread: totally white, full of sugar and insanely delicious. I really shouldn't be allowed near the stuff.

We had a few really great meals out. For quick lunch we'd head down the street to Ohana Tacos. Totally authentic (they even had beef tongue and tripe) and so good.

As proper tourists do, we went to Mama's Fish House for a beautiful sunset meal. I had mahi mahi with wild boar and grilled bananas and Eric had their fish curry. We started with their three fish appetizer and it may have been the best sashimi I had the entire trip.

By far, the absolute stand out meal was at Merriman's in Kapalua. Our server had such passion for food. As soon as I thought I had my mind made up about what to order, he'd come and tell us about a special and I'd be so mesmerized I couldn't even remember what I'd originally wanted. I had seared ahi for my main and Eric had ono. Incredible! Our server sneaked us a couple extra macadamia nut shortbread and gave me a handful of earl grey tea to take home. Love that guy!






While driving the Road to Hana, we stopped at a little road side market and bought coconut candy. It's slices of coconut that have been slow roasted overnight in cane syrup. For a girl who loves coconut, it was a perfect treat. I'm going to try to re-create it. If I can get it just right, I'll be sure to share it with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment