Thursday 29 September 2011

The Great Chocolate Chip Cookie Bake-off of 2011

A few weeks ago, I heard about the NY Times Chocolate Chip Cookie and I thought I'd give it a try. Then, just days before I had planned on making them, I stumbled across Anna Olson's Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe over on Gwendolyn's blog. Both claimed to be out of this world so I thought I'd have a little bake-off and decide for myself. Two days and 3 dozen cookies later, here's what I've discovered...




...they're both amazing. Not the answer you were hoping for? Me neither. I was really hoping that one was going to outshine the other so I could run through the streets shouting "I've done it! I've made the world's best chocolate chip cookie!" I even handed them out to friends and co-workers with a stipulation that they must pick one or the other, but the opinions were split.

They both baked up nice and thick and stayed soft and chewy. The main difference was really the taste. The NY Times ones were saltier (even before the added sea salt on top) with a deeper almost caramelized flavor. Anna Olson's were really classic, remind-you-of-your-mom type cookies. I went back and forth on which one I liked more and in the end I still can't decide.

So here's what I'll say about them: if you have the time to chill cookie dough for 24-36 hours and the self restraint to not eat the entire thing in all it's raw glory, then make the NY Times ones. If you're like me and tend to bake on a whim, then make the Anna Olson version. Let's face it, they're chocolate chunk cookies. It's not like you'll be disappointed either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment