Tuesday 16 June 2015

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

Once spring rolls around, strawberry rhubarb anything is my favorite. When my brother invited us over for a BBQ last weekend, my dessert choice was a no brainer.


When it comes to crisps, I always like a little extra topping. I've left the recipe below in its original form, but when I made it, I increased the topping by a third and finished it off with a big scoop of vanilla gelato.

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
from Bon Apetit

3/4 c. all purpose flour
2/3 c. plus 
1/2 c. sugar
Large pinch of salt
6 tbsp. (3/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 c. old-fashioned oats1/2 c. husked hazelnuts*, toasted, coarsely chopped
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
4 c. strawberries, hulled, halved 12 ounces rhubarb (preferably bright red), ends trimmed, stalks cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces

*I used pecans because I had them on hand. I think you could use any nut and it would be delicious.


Combine flour, 2/3 c. of sugar, and salt in a medium bowl; whisk to blend. add butter. Rub in with fingertips until mixture sticks together in clumps. Mix in oats and nuts. Topping can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.


Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter 11x7x2-inch glass baking dish. Place 1/2 cup sugar in large bowl. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; whisk to blend well. Add strawberries and rhubarb to sugar in bowl; toss to coat well. Scrape fruit filling into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle oat topping evenly over filling.


Bake crumble until filling bubbles thickly and topping is crisp, about 45 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes. Spoon warm crumble into bowls. Serve with ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment